29 April 2013

Nature always inspires...


I'm currently in that non-making phase of art...the phase where I feel like I'm in neutral, waiting to change gears back up into the flow of creating again...I've noticed this happens in a cyclic fashion and I now accept it as a necessary part of my creative process...things are forming, ideas and inspirations are shaping me but the last couple of weeks have been paint free...so I wanted to share the other things that catch my attention during these 'dormant' and decidedly more internal phases of creating...


 Snakeshead Fritillaries -definitely fairy flowers!

Nature has always been my 'go to' for solace, inspiration and clarity...ever since I can remember, I would disappear off for a walk to clear my head and get some fresh air...it always helps and I return anew, with colour and pattern imprinted on my newly inspired mind...


The patterns and tiny details in Grape Hyacinths are amazing...


With the spring finally unfurling around me, I am happy to return to my annual friends, like these Grape Hyacinths, with their intricate bells that unfold after being tightly held in a ball, waiting for the right time...and like them, I am waiting for the right time to paint...in fact always paying attention to the inner pull of my heart, telling me what to do next ♥


A Narcissus with it's beautiful colour combinations...


I'm not one for sketching out in the field...rather, I prefer to photograph what I see...and even though a lot of the beautiful flowers that I witness along my path do not come directly into my paintings, their influence is more subtle, the colour combinations, the patterns and lines are there instead...I remember when I lived by the sea, I would walk my dog there every day...soon after we had begun this routine, my paintings changed...I began a 'Blue Phase'...my paintings became large, over 6 feet by 4 feet and consisted of various blues and greens every time! This was not a conscious move on my part but indeed Nature had crept into me once again and taken charge of my creative direction...there really is no separation between us and our planet and I began to see and feel that connection strengthen in me through my painting...I will endeavor to find some slides of the old blue paintings to share here...I wait to see what Nature has in store for my next painting phase :)  ♥


25 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots! I especially love the hyacinth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I appreciate your visit :)

      Delete
  2. Those are some gorgeous photographs! I love the middle one - my favorite! Blessings.

    xoxo,
    Allie @ Framed by God
    http://framedbygod.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ruth, I have enjoyed my visit here. You have a lovely blog and these photos of the flowers are delightful. Thank you so much for sharing them with Today's Flowers. I am going to put you on my blog roll at my personal blog so that I can visit often. Wishing you a happy week with lots of nature's inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Denise, I really appreciate that so much x

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful Ruth. I have been using my macro lens today, practice, practice, practice... one of the flowers I picked was Muscari, I just love them. I am pleased with todays efforts and hope to post the pictures later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your grape hyacinth photo, it's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tawny Moon Studio is my new place to be!!! Gorgeous site and gorgeous work Ruth!
    Thanks for joining Floral Love ♥ Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mona, I'm glad to have you here :)

      Delete
  7. I love every single photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful florals and great attitude about lulls in creativity - I too often box mine up and label it as a rut, failing to instead recognize it as an opportunity to recharge. Your hyacinths are so heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicki :)

      Delete
  9. I liked the shape and colors of those first flowers. I have never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the edit of the first pic! thanx for your weekend flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely blog! the scalloped eyelet edge "paper" is very pretty! LOVE the grape hyacinth and the coloring on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly, I love scalloped edges ;)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous , all of them'

    ReplyDelete
  13. First visit here from Floral Love, and pleasant it certainly is, Ruth! Your site, and images are lovely ... I'm especially drawn to your grape hyacinth ... but, they're all so pretty! So much variety in nature, yes, so much inspiration! Looking forward to seeing where it takes you next! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, thank you for visiting and for your kind support, it means a lot :)

      Delete
  14. Oooh, the grape hyacinth photo and the flower are just beautiful! I've never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your first picture is just wonderful, I love Fritillaria Meleagris.
    Have a nice day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos and so wonderful to allow yourself these "dormant " phases, and to let nature and you inner self be your guide!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous flowers. Hope you'd find time to visit my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful shots. I feel the same way about nature. I just wish I had more time to spend there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment, it is deeply appreciated :)